Crafty in the Med

I am here to enjoy meeting other bloggers and to share my love of craft ,mostly crochet, my thoughts and my daily happenings here in Alicante,Spain, my adopted country. I belong to a local choir because singing and music makes me happy. Flea markets and book shops are two of my favourite places to be. I read lots......sci´fi/fantasy,buried treasure, and off world adventures. I have a passion for history! I walk and walk and walk for about 10 months per year during the hot months I swim.

Sunday 28 April 2013

Door slamming!

and exactly that.... all due to the door slamming and poor Willie the cat couldn't get into our bedroom at night to be with his beloved friend Sr P.
We put a cushion there at first so the door was drawn to but there was still sufficient space for Willie to get in but that cushion had got old and squashed and wasn't allowing enough space for Willie to get in anymore. That meant we were back to the scratching and meowing again at 3ish in the morning tut!!!
That's when Sr P asked me to make a doorstop and I have, as you can see in the photo above but now my daughter has seen it and she wants it and Sr P has given it to her and asked me to make another one not so elaborate!!!
Which  I will do ...but....grr!!!!

I had no intention of doing all THIS!!! 
The whole turret house just sort of developed after having sewn the main body of the door stop together and filled it with a bag of rice and also placed a few pebbles in the bottom to keep it steady.
I sewed the bottom up and thought it looked rather plain and I thought I could crochet a something top to it to make it look a bit taller.


I merrily crocheted away in single crochet and it just sort of went cone like.  I thought of a turret and of course I had just seen the Hobbit film so perhaps that was what inspired me.

It looked better with the turret but then it needed a door and then a few windows and the turret needed a few little round windows too!

Then it came to me that no good turret house could be without a chimney so I made a chimney ,



but the back of the house looked so bare .....so......I added a curly crochet button tree. 
All country turret houses have ,as I am sure you know,some wildlife nearby and as this is a country turret house I decided to stick some felt rabbits near the tree and a felt butterfly hovering near the tree too and a flower near the front door.





and then I thought a couple of toadstools under a window but 
.....naaaa ....I thought it was getting a bit crowded and so I stopped......


to rest and  to contemplate it.


keep well!


Amanda :-)



29 comments:

  1. Oh Amanda the doorstop is absolutely gorgeous. I can't blame your daughter for wanting it. In fact I can see lots more orders coming along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing Amanda! what a fabulous doorstop. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Amanda - I know that feeling well ! and all because of a slamming door :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute doorstop. It's amazing what happens when we get our hooks and yarns out and start creating.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. So much fun, Amanda, to see your creative process resulting in a unique doorstop that is both useful and cheery as well. You are inspiring me again. I have needed a doorstop and have been using a large stuffed toy beaver to keep my front door at the angle I want it, but in order for it to work the beaver has to have its nose in the corner like I am making him stand in time out for being naughty instead of helpful....I am starting to feel guilty :-)....another project for my "to do" list! Thanks for posting!
    xx, Gracie

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is very clever Amanda! I love all the details. Watch out or your doorstops will be in high demand with cat lovers everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an elaborate work for a door stop!!!! Brava Amanda!!!
    xxxx Ale

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's one wonderful doorstop! I love the way it just grew and grew and evolved into something magical...worthy of a fairytale. No wonder your daughter poached it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fabulous doorstop! Love the description of the whole creative process. Is Willie the cat happy now? ;-)
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow... Now at is a GREAT door stop.:) adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The things we do for our cats, I had a 3:50 wake up call this morning! It is adorable! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Super fun doorstop, they will be in high demand. One of our cats has just learnt that if he can't make us hear him in the wee hours then he bangs his paw on the balcony door until we do, I feel a cat flap coming on lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks so wonderful and cute!! :) you have done lot of detailing and they look sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's brilliant, I love the detail, no wonder your daughter wanted it! You could make a whole village :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just my kind of organic thinking and crafting. No plan but you get there in the end. It's great.
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have been busy house building stitch by stitch, it's so cute x

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can see why everyone was fighting over it! Jx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my gosh, that's the cutest thing in the world! I want to live in it. Make me small now? :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love it! I can understand why your daughter wanted it :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I can't get over that house, Amanda! It's so beautiful! :-)
    Carly
    x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh that is beautiful! So much detail. Gorgeous ^_^
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ooohh, that's really good! Hope it stays in it's place this time so that Willie the cat can move around freely!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately as my daughter has taken it I've had to put another cushion until I can make another door stop.

      Thanks for your comments :-)

      A xx

      Delete
  24. Three words..... I LOVE IT!

    Hugs,
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you so much Sharon for your lovely comments that makes me feel soooo good!!
    A xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. How sweet is that! I'm not surprised your daughter snaffled it. Beautifully done Amanda :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh Amanda that is so sweet! It's lovely when you enjoy making something so much. The little windows in the roof are my favourite part xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. How adorable...very clever and creative...now you get the pleasure of making another one! xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read them and try to reply to all as well.Please keep them coming. Amanda :-)